Through the support of our members, patrons, dedicated volunteers and project partners, the Independence Conservancy has:
Built and operated Abandoned Mine Discharge Treatment Systems which remove over 600 tons of iron yearly from the headwaters of Raccoon Creek
Adopted Land Trust Standards and Practices, establishing the first land trust based in Beaver County, PA, protecting 99 acres of land in three counties.
Established the Community Tire Collection Program providing economical waste tire disposal options to local municipalities in four counties - over 45,000 tires and wheels processed since 2004.
Launched Land Camp, a week-long, rustic camping experience for teens and youth mentors to learn by doing and seeing how "Life Depends on Land."
Helped to draft the Raccoon Creek Region Conservation Plan, a non-regulatory guide for sustainable development in the Region.
Eliminated illegal dump sites in the Raccoon Creek valley by removing and recycling over 22,000 fugitive tires and 300 tons of scrap metal.
Completed the Raredon Run Stream Restoration repairing 1600 feet of erosion using Natural Stream Channel Design, in-stream habitat improvements and riparian buffers.
- President's Choice Award 2016: Washington County Community Foundation
- Best Education and Outreach Project 2013: Ohio River Watershed Celebration
- Most Innovative Project Award 2012: Ohio River Watershed Celebration
- Conservation Organization of the Year 2006: Washington County Conservation District
- Environmental Excellence Award 2005: Ohio River Watershed Celebration
- Land Trust Alliance
- Pennsylvania Land Trust Association
- PA Organization for Watersheds and Rivers
- PA Farmland Preservation Association